In the year 1948, Sumy State University was established in Sumy Oblast, Ukraine. Today, it is the leading university of a classical type with the III-IV accreditation level in the region.
Presently, the University has about 15,000 students from almost 50 countries across the world, who are pursuing pre- bachelor, bachelors and masters degrees in 22 fields of knowledge & 51 majors.
Sumy State University is one of the best universities for studying MBBS in Ukraine.
Sumy State University offers 12 courses across 5 streams namely Medical, Engineering, Law, Media & Mass Communication, Management, and across 5 degrees like MBBS, B.Tech, LLB, BBA, BA.
Sumy State University – Quick Highlights 2020
|Year of Establishment||1948|
|Last Date to Apply||August, 2020|
|NEET Exam||Yes, Required|
|Medium of Instruction||English|
|Tuition Fee (Approx.)||INR 3.01 lakhs/year|
|MBBS Course Duration||6 years including internship|
|Recognition||MCI & WHO|
|Ranking of University||Country Rank – 4|
World Rank – 2153
Why Should Students Study at Sumy State University?
- It is approved by MCI and WHO.
- Studying MBBS at Sumy State University requires a low cost than MBBS in India.
- The duration of the MBBS program at Sumy State University is 6 years and the course is taught in full English medium of instruction.
- Students can learn multiple cultures and languages as 1300 foreign students from 50 different countries are studying at the university.
- Sumy State University is one of the oldest colleges for MBBS in Ukraine.
- The university has exchange programs and partnerships with numerous reputed medical universities across the world.
- Indian students studying MBBS at Sumy State University get ample clinical exposure from the 3rd year of their classes and can interact with patients at the very early stage of their education.
- Hostels and Indian mess are available for international students.
Sumy State University – Fee Structure for MBBS 2021
|Fees in USD (approx)||$3900|
|Fees in Indian Rupees (approx)||Rs.2,73,000|
|Hostel Fees in Rupees (approx)||Rs.70,000|
- 1$ = Rs.70
- Other overhead one time expenses (Registration charges etc.) can be extra up to Rs.50,000/- (approximately).
- Health insurance, visa extension, etc. can cost between Rs.14,000 – Rs.15,000 per year.
- Food expenses per year approx. Rs.70,000 will be extra.
MBBS Course Duration – Sumy State University
Sumy State University offers an MBBS course for a period of 6 years:
- MBBS at Sumy State University lasts for a period of 6 years including 5 years of the classroom learning and 1-year internship.
- The university offers real-time experience with patients through affiliated hospitals.
MBBS Course Syllabus – Sumy State University
|1||40 Weeks||Latin language, Ukrainian language, History of Ukraine, and Medical terminology, Political science, Ukrainian culture, History of Medicine, Fundamentals of Psychology and Pedagogy, Biophysics, Medical Chemistry, Human Anatomy, Medical Biology, Embryology, etc.|
|2||40 Weeks||Human Anatomy, Cytology, Embryology, Physiology, General Surgery, Microbiology, etc.|
|3||40 Weeks||Microbiology, Virology, Pathophysiology, Pharmacology, Hygiene and Ecology, Propaedeutic of internal medicine and Paediatrics, Radiology, etc.|
|4||40 Weeks||Surgery, Biostatics, Urology, Medical Psychology, Internal medicine, Paediatric, Tuberculosis, Narcology, etc.|
|5||40 Weeks||Internal medicine, Epidemiology, Oncology, Paediatrics, Surgery, Traumatology, Medical Genetics, Orthopaedics, Gynaecology, Neurosurgery, Dissection course, etc.|
|6||40 Weeks||Oncology, General medicine, Internal medicine, Pediatrics, Surgery, Gynecology, Hygiene, and ecology, etc.|
Sumy State University – Academic Calendar 2021
Refer to the academic calendar of Sumy State University as given below:
|Lectures & Practical Classes||September to January|
|Winter Holidays Break||January|
|Lectures & Practical Classes||February to may|
|Summer Holidays Break||July to august last|
Eligibility Criteria: For MBBS Course at Sumy State University
To study MBBS at Sumy State Medical University, below given is the eligibility criteria:
- The candidate must be 17 years old on or before 31st December of the year in which the admission is being taken.
- The Nationality of the students must be ‘Indian’.
- The applicants must have cleared the NEET exam.
- All the candidates must have studied Physics, Chemistry, and Biology as elective subjects and acquired at least half in a total of PCB joined. Also, students must have studied and passed English as an obligatory subject.
- The candidate must have scored a minimum of 50% of marks in subjects like Physics, Biology, Chemistry combined.
What is the Admission Procedure for Sumy State University?
- Step 1: In order to apply to this University, and send an international application, students should contact the admission department of the University by email and must send the following documents:
- secondary school completion certificate
- international passport or birth certificate
- Step 2: For further admission confirmation and guidance in registering to the University, the scanned documents are to be sent to the University by email for evaluation of eligibility.
- Step 3: Along with other details of enrollment, the student will be granted with ADMISSION CONFIRMATION LETTER in case if they are eligible.
- Step 4: Students must apply for the INVITATION LETTER, and it must be delivered to the home address of the applicant at the Embassy of Ukraine.
- Step 5: Students must inform about their flight details to the University so that a representative from the University can pick them up at the airport.
- Step 6: Students will be deported back to the homeland, in case a student fails to inform the University about their arrival.
Documents Required: For MBBS Course
- A Passport (Valid for a minimum of 2 years)
- Birth Certificate’s copy
- 6 color photos (size 6×4 cm)
- Welcome Letter from the University
- Student Visa
- Expenses necessary for the Academic year
- Affirmation Letter
- Flight tickets To and Fro
- Original Education Certificates (10th and 12th) and copies of Education Certificates
- Guardians’ Money related status (or Student’s record, if they are responsible to pay).
Sumy State University – Ranking 2020
As per UniRank (4icu.org), the country and world ranking of Sumy State University is:
|Country Rank||World Rank|
Medium of Teaching
Courses at Sumy State University are offered in Polish and English language:
- At Sumy State University, around 14,000 students are studying in the 25 different fields of study including technical, economical and humanitarian specialties.
- English is a commonly used language for providing training to international medical students. It is the center of education for a number of specialties in different fields.
Sumy State University offers various programs as follows:
Accreditation and Recognition
Sumy State University is recognized and accredited by:
- Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine
- Medical Council of India
Sumy State University – FMGE Performance 2019
Find the passing percent and appeared students in year 2019 for Sumy State University is here in the table below:
|Name of University||Appeared||Total Pass||Pass %|
|Sumy State University||11||3||27.27%|
Quality of Education at Sumy State University
Sumy State University offers high-quality education to undergraduate and postgraduate students:
- Sumy State University is the 1st Educational institution in Ukraine that has been listed in the audit of the QS company in the categories as teaching, engagement, access and e-learning.
- The university has a partnership with the universities from 50 countries including the USA, Great Britain, Germany, Austria, France, Sweden, Poland, Lithuania, Bulgaria, Japan and other countries of the world to establish a high standard of education.
- The university actively participates in the academic mobility programs, short term and long term programs, internships and placement programs for undergraduate and postgraduate students.
- The university has published journals including scientific journals, marketing and management of innovations and nanomaterial applications.
Facilities Provided at Sumy State University
Following are the facilities provided at Sumy State University:1
The university has a department of physical education and sports that manages sports, events, competitions and provides consultation in respective sports. The department has a 62 sports club with an enrollment of 2000 students.2
The university has a modern integrated system of Information Technology which includes:
- Electronic Documents Circulation
- University Web-System
- Educational Process Support
- Library Management Support System
- Multimedia Training Classes
- Training Equipment
Library & Information Center
The university has an automated library and information system which includes a central library, technical schools, libraries of institutes and libraries at chairs.
The library provides access to educational information with more than 30 international electronic resources within the academic integrity of the university. The library has a real-time electronic catalogue that contains more than 55,000 electronic versions of documents.4
Driving School of University
The driving sessions are provided at the driving school of the Sumy State University.
Driving school at Sumy State University offers:
- Individual approach
- Moderate price
- The option to choose a car for training
The driving sessions are provided by the fully qualified driving instructor of Sumy State University who teaches driving at a professional level.
Cost of Living in Sumy City
Following is the cost of living in the city of Sumy:
|Particulars||Cost in INR||Cost in USD|
|Accommodation||15,000 to 20,000||214-285|
|Food||3500 to 6500||50-92|
Note: 1$ = Rs. 70
Hostel & Accommodation Facilities
- The Sumy State Medical University consists of 5 hostels where 800 students can live approximately.
- At the hostel of Sumy State University, boys and girls are provided accommodation on separate floors.
- Hostels are equipped with all the modern features like CCTV surveillance, round the clock security, fire alarm safety, etc.
- The rooms at the hostel are allotted on a first come first serve basis and each room can be shared by 2 to 3 students.
- All the rooms have study tables, chairs, beds, pillows, bed sheets, lamps, etc.
- Gyms and reading halls are also available at the hostels.
- Students can stay at private apartments from 2nd year onwards but first-year students need to compulsorily stay at the government hostel.
- On the ground floor, there is a cafeteria so that students can relax in their free time.
Student’s Life at Sumy State University
- Sumy State University has a very active student life.
- The social life of Sumy State University is represented by a great variety of projects and cultural programs.
- In addition, students can take part in different clubs and activities related to dancing groups, reading groups, literacy workshops, drama groups, numerous theatre groups, sports, volunteering.
- There are many other services and facilities for students at Sumy State University, including; a library, housing services, health services, physical education and sports department, and a driving school.
- The university has a dedicated club offering nearly 40 different kinds of sports including aerobics, swimming, basketball, and boxing.
- Sumy State University works hard to accommodate the needs and demands of international students and provides optional psychological support for those who require it.
About Sumy City
- Sumy city is situated in the north-eastern part of Ukraine.
- It is the administrative capital of the Sumy region.
- On the bank of river Psel, the city is located.
- The closest large city near Sumy is Kharkiv and it lies close to the Russian border.
- The temperature of Sumy city is humid continental with warm summers and cold winters.
- During summers, the temperature of Sumy lies between +20 to +28 degrees celsius, and it can fall up to -10 degrees celsius during winters.
- Out of the total population in Sumy, 20% of people are Russians.
- The Sumy city is well connected to nearby cities like Kharkiv, Poltava, etc. through rail and road.